Friday, October 1, 2010

Surprise!

I'm leaving town!  I'm skipping class today to leave town with Katy and Alyssa to go to Katy's newborn host brother's baptism in Kaolack.  I'm excited and nervous and have no idea what to expect.  We're leaving in about an hour.  Unfortunately, Youssou is now annoyed because he wanted to spend the weekend with me.  Good sign that this is not someone I should ever date--I am not going to stop making my own decisions and seizing opportunities.

Last night Meredith came over for dinner and we had peas!!  We had "petit poids" a week or two ago, and it was delicious.  Yesterday lunch wasn't ready until just about when I needed to head to school, so I didn't get to eat much.  Mama was really upset about that, so she said she'd make something extra special for dinner.  So we had peas and I was really happy.  Meredith and Youssou and Sarah and I went for a walk, and then Meredith and I went and hung out with Billy!  It was really nice; I like Billy.  I got to introduce him to Andrew, and I hung out with a bunch of little Senegalese kids who taught us clapping games and songs.  It was a nice night.

Now I need to send my resume out (again) to the people at Empire des Enfants (school for street kids) to see if I can teach some circus stuff there.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

2 comments:

  1. Playing hooky! I'm shocked! At least it's for a good cause - and I hope you have a great time. Glad to hear that you're still as independent and confident as I know you to be - no guy worth your time would expect you to forgo experiences...love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for adventures!

    A guy's perspective on Youssou: Have compassion--he likes you. He's disappointed that you'll be gone when he expected you'd be there. That doesn't mean you should do anything different--but honoring--even appreciating that he cares about you would be nice. Being compassionate just means giving up being righteous (making him wrong). In exchange you get to be present to love and affinity--everywhere. And freedom (there's no freedom when making someone wrong--think about it).

    When I was young I would get sad when women got angry at me for caring. I guess they thought I was trying to control them with my caring emotions. I wasn't--I was just caring--and wished they would care too by understanding rather than being self-absorbed or defensive.

    Thank you for sharing it. I hope this is useful.

    Rock and roll, sweetie! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete