Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Meeting and Stuff

This morning I had my Empire des Enfants meeting.  It was confusing, to say the least.  Here's what I took from it:
-there is a group of 2 or 3 kids who put on circus shows.  I know right off that they are way better than me, but they're also all boys, so maybe they could use me for partner-y things
-they have everything they need at Empire des Enfants (EdE)
-they were given  by the city a space to use for free at the piscine Olympique (Olympic-size swimming pool), so they practice there now
-practicing at the pool, they have more space and more independence, but EdE has no say over their safety or anything
-it is totally unclear whether or not they would have any interest in having me teach circus stuff at EdE
-they really want me to teach English, though

Right now, I think where we stand is that the director will see if I can do stuff with circus people and I'll teach him English when I get back from St. Louis (we leave Sunday for our rural visit...which I'll have to talk more about later).

This adventure also included using public transit alone for the first time.  By the time I was on the bus, I still had no idea where the bus was going or when I was supposed to get off.  It was scary, but it also only cost 150 CFA, or about $0.30.

Now for something completely different: one of the girls on the program is going home.  I'm glad, because it's clear that Dakar is not a place she can be healthy, but I'm sad that she didn't have more say in the decision and I'll miss having her around.

My panel of advisers (aka friends and family) have pointed out that I might be portraying a lousy image of Caleb, so I thought I'd talk about how great he is for a little while.  I wouldn't be so hurt by him if I didn't think he was so fabulous.

On our first date, we went out to coffee, got pizza for dinner, looked at the moon through a telescope, ate fire, played pool, watched a movie, and then spent the night together.  Over the last year we went apple-picking, took a day-trip to Yosemite, saw San Francisco, went out to eat bunches of times, went stargazing in a cemetery in the rain, explored the Henderson Castle, watched sunrises and sunsets, tossed around Frisbees, cooked, drank wine, went rock climbing, hiked, drew on each other with Sharpies, and shared hundreds of other fun times.  It was by far the most fun I've ever had in a relationship, and I loved almost every moment of it.  Caleb is one of the best listeners I've ever met (when he's willing to be in contact, I guess), he's great at taking care of me when I'm sick or sad, and he gives fabulous advice.  He is always willing to try new things, and he is always the first to remind me to stand up for myself.

I'm probably one of his biggest fans.  But I also know that his method of dealing with stress is generally lousy for the people around him.  When he has a problem with someone, his impulse is to find a solution unilaterally and then let the other person know before going through with that solution.  It leaves no space to compromise with other people.  And that, that method of dealing with stress, is why I'm upset with where things stand.  I hope that gives a more balanced perspective on what's going on.

3 comments:

  1. Erika, since I know you like feedback that people are reading your blog... I'm glad you had such a great year with Caleb. Treasure it. As you expressed, what's really valuable is how you are together, more than the many interesting things you do. Clearly, for this particular time, that's no longer true whether you wish it or not. Might be different..or not..when you get back to school. For now, it's your opportunity for YOU to be the loving, always-supportive friend to your Self that brings joy to your life. (I apologize for always having suggestions for you; it's either a "guy" thing, or another who has traveled similar roads, and cares.) Best to you. Bob A

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that you are in Africa teaching circus stuff. As if the studying, clubbing, tea-making and conquering public transportation isn't enough! Was that the bus you posted the picture of? I love that bus - because whoever drove that crazy thing clearly loved it, too. It was a work of art. Thank you for posting. I am so grateful to be able to vicariously share this with you. Tell me more about the fabric, please. I am a fabri-holic.
    I realize we have barely met, but I'm pretty sure one cannot be THAT far away from home/family/friends without it being incredibly sorrowful and lonely. For you and the family/friends. Try not to bite down on it. Take more pictures - love the artistry of what you've shown us so far. And how is your foot? Can't be too careful with one's feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adventure after adventure! I'm glad that you were able to meet the EdE group - and look forward to hearing about how you decide to participate. Can't wait to hear about the St Louis visit and your adventures there...are all of you going to the same town? Keep up the positive thoughts and words - treasure the good and learn from the negative. So proud of you for taking on such a foreign experience and gaining so much insight and gratitude from it. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete