Thursday, October 7, 2010

Family Mysteries Unraveled

Doesn't that sound intense?

I've been finding out more about my host family and discovered that what I thought originally was mostly untrue. So here's my family:

Mama: Seynobou Mbaye
-runs a beauty supply store at the end of the street
-has three children, plus one
-had three more (two girls and a boy) who died (I'm guessing in infancy)

Papa: I don't know his name yet
-used to be director of the ports of Dakar, now unemployed

Oldest sister: Oumie
-dresses up fancy every day for work--I think she works as a tailor or something?

Brother: Youssou
-just found work as a supervisor someplace where he's in charge of sorting papers...or something

Younger sister: Aida
-age 15, goes to high school

Not-sister: Seynobou
-named after Mama and given to her by Papa's brother
-I'm not in Kansas any more

It was good that I figured out that Mama owns the beauty boutique, because I'd been wondering why people were always hauling beauty supplies by the busload into and out of our house.

Also, there's now a working light in my bathroom!  AND a flushing toilet!  I have never known such luxury (or, I haven't known it to be luxury when I've had it).

Youssou wants me to go with him and his friends to Goree Island this weekend, but it'd cost about $40, and I've already spent too much this week.  I don't know that I'm willing to spend that much on one weekend, especially when lodging is...uncertain (read: I'm pretty sure that I'd somehow end up sharing a room with Youssou, which I'm not so okay with).

I bought gorgeous fabrics the day before yesterday, and I'm itching to take them to the tailor to get clothing made.  Let me know if you want me to get something made for you.  Also, leave me comments.  They make me happy and let me know that people are actually reading this.

4 comments:

  1. Complex familial relationships!

    Trying to picture giving away a child - I guess since it's to another family member it wouldn't be as hard as giving one away for adoption by a stranger. Is she considered another daughter or a maid? Interesting social structure - makes me wonder what prompted the 'gift.'

    So nice to appreciate the little 'luxuries' that we stop seeing when we're surrounded by abundance. Can't wait to see the beautiful fabrics and clothing you're collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever have an extra kid I'll send it your way :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. It sounds like real life. Can you imagine what they think you mean when you tell them what we do--for work and day-to-day?

    I'm sure they're far more confused by us than you are by their arrangements...check it out!

    I got a demo of my 2D to 3D video conversion running on a cell phone yesterday--it's amazing. The whole thing runs on 10 CPUs on a chip 1/4 the size of a pencil eraser, and takes 1/4 watt. I wrote the software, it was converted to silicon design in Dublin, and the chip made in Taiwan.

    Explain that to your family!

    I love you a lot... Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika, Don't know the situation in your "family"; but I know that in many places parents give away their children because they cannot afford them. In fact all to often, they sell them into slavery or early marriage for that reason.

    Peter, Even I don't really understand a lot of what you said you've done; but it sounds really impressive to me.

    ReplyDelete