Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Forgot!

When I was posting yesterday about the baptism, I forgot the best part!  On Friday, before we went home for attaya, we went to this little festival thing.  It was really just a little area fenced in with cloth.  There were chairs set up facing a makeshift stage, plus a little blanket on the ground for the kids.  We walked in and everyone stared at us (not unusual) and they cleared out some chairs in the front row for us.  When they were set to start, the emcee said, "Asalaa Maalekum!"  No one responded.  He said it again, and we said, "Maalekum Salaam!", which is the proper response, but no one else said anything.  We looked around, and everyone (I mean literally, every person there) was staring at us.  The emcee was just talking to us!  We were the only white people there. He also asked us how we were doing and whether we spoke Wolof.  Turns out the whole thing--there were little skits--was in Wolof.

So that was fun.

I talked to Youssou last night and he said he was upset that I was sad because I deserve to be happy.  He was talking about it like he was mad at me, though, so I pointed out that it was unrealistic to expect anyone to be happy all the time.  He said he understood.  He wants to visit me in St.Louis when we're on our rural visit, but I'm not sure whether I want him to.  He also wants to go to the beach with me all weekend...which is a little much for me.  Especially since he seems to want it to just be the two of us.  So I'll need to tell him to chill out a little soon.  As it is, I made sure that he understands that I'm not going to go out with him because I'm not ready to see someone now, and probably won't be for a while.  He respects that, which makes my life easier.

Afternoon class today was cancelled, so maybe we'll go to the market later?  Or I'll just rest and get over this nasty cold.  Either way, beats sitting in class feeling icky.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like more adventures! I'm so glad you're keeping this blog to remind you of all the things you've gotten to experience, and even the things you've had to overcome. Can't wait to hear the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erica,

    I'm sorry to hear things have been rough of late, but I'm excited for you that you're having these great experiences in Senegal. I hope your grieving process is swift, though thorough, and I look forward to reading more about your exploits.

    All the Best,
    Chinzi

    ReplyDelete