Monday, October 11, 2010

Baobab Center

I walked in this morning to go to my meeting, and Dwoyen said, "Something is wrong."  He told me to go talk to Rama and he'd reschedule my appointment.  So I still missed (and am in the process of missing, right now) Wolof class, but instead of having my exciting meeting, I cried in Rama's office about life in general.  She was great, and then Dinah came in.  Dinah was about to leave when she saw there was a student crying, but then she saw it was me, so she stayed and talked.  She said she'd take me out to lunch today, which will be nice.

Everyone was so great about not making me feel like this is just another everyday thing they have to deal with.  They really cared what was going on and made sure that I promised to come back to talk whenever I wanted.  Dwoyen said, "We're a family here.  I'm not some official sitting at a desk.  You can talk to me about whatever you want."

My meeting will be rescheduled, and I won't have to be battling tears when I go.  This is good.

5 comments:

  1. What was the initial purpose of your exciting meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you go see the circus group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're rescheduling the circus meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say you're at the "denial" stage with Caleb, mixed with anger. There's an old saying something like "If you love somebody, you must set him free. If it's meant to be, he'll come back." Don't trouble yourself with WHY he wants to be free. It doesn't matter at all. You have absolutely no control over it. Trying to change his mind only makes him angry; trying to understand only leads to misery for you. Hard as it is, your challenge is to accept it and allow it to be okay... whether that takes a week, or 6 months, or 20 years. Do you want his choice to rob you of all joy during this unique experience in Africa? Be gentle to your Self. Bob A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! Family, team work, a village. Beats chocolate. In terms of being sweet, that is.
    And yes, I'll be more coherent after some more sleep...

    ReplyDelete