Monday, January 31, 2011

Sundays

I don't know what it is, but every Sunday, without fail, I end up depressed and alone in my room. Not all day, but it does happen each week. It's really frustrating. Dakar is fairly dead on Sundays, so there's not a lot to keep me busy and un-depressed. At least it's only Sundays, right?

Yesterday after falling apart for a little while, I went to a wedding at Meredith's house. In true Senegalese style, neither the bride nor the groom was present. The party was for the joining of the two families, not to celebrate the couple. Anyways, the bride was given a choice between two different men she could marry, so it's not like we would have been celebrating young love or anything.

I have 33 days left here before I head home. I'm getting more and more excited to go home, but I'm hoping I'll be able to come back here this summer to do research and play with the circus again.

My ICRP (research project) is coming along...slowly. But I have more direction now than I did last week, and I know what I have to do next, so I'm feeling okay about it. Now if only I wasn't constantly tired.

1 comment:

  1. So what are your friends up to on Sundays? Is there a particular reason you've not been getting together with people? If you know Sundays are a problem, talk to your friends about getting some support from them! Also, make sure you're getting enough iron - it could be part of the issue with your fatigue.

    You've had some pretty interesting cultural experiences with weddings - does it make you think differently about (eventually) what you want your own to look like?

    I'm glad to hear your research is taking shape - I think that if you immerse yourself more fully in it for a while you'll start feeling better in general - you don't like things to drag on...so glad you'll be stateside soon!

    ReplyDelete