Thursday, January 6, 2011

Improvement

Things got much better last night.  I was sitting around wanting to talk to someone and starting to cry and feeling lousy and depressed, and then Anja (the Swiss-German woman living in Sweden who trained Modou, who started SenCirk) called me and said she and her husband Maksim were heading to the Radisson to get drinks and watch the sun set over the ocean.

I went to meet up with them, said hi, and started crying.  They bought me tea and told me that what I was feeling was good because it would make me stronger and more mature, etc, and then we kept talking and I started feeling a lot better.  When it got dark, we went out to dinner at a restaurant where my family had lunch their first day in Dakar.  We shared a bottle of red wine over dinner, and I got slightly tipsy.  I went to bed feeling much better about life in general.

Today I have a few Skype dates, which should be nice.  I'm going out of town for the weekend to a village on an island down south.  It's called Niordior (nyoor-dyoor), and it has dolphins and manatees.  Our Wolof professor is taking us (it's where he grew up, I believe), so we'll have a Wolof class either en route or when we get there.  Should be a fun time--I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments: