Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's New?

My mom points out I haven't been blogging much lately. I feel like I've become so accustomed to life here that nothing I do seems very blog-worthy to me. The last few days I've spent very little time alone in my room, which is a step in the right direction.

I've been to the market, wandered downtown, eaten at the French Cultural Center (delicious!), had Thai food, been to a jazz club (there was no jazz happening, though), worked on Meredith's new dreadlocks, had a sleepover, made attaya, hung out with my host cousins, etc. I've kept busy, but still feel like I haven't done anything.

In the meantime, I feel like things are piling up. I'm stressing out about my ICRP, friends in unhealthy relationships, the fact that I still don't have housing for the spring, and the fact that Caleb is leaving the day after tomorrow.  Too much stuff is happening!

Plus, every day I feel more and more ready to go home. Which is great, except that I don't want to spend my last month counting down the days (there are 38 days left). My birthday (21!) is coming up in just under two weeks. I'm still not quite sure what to do for it, but I'm excited.

Katy is sick right now, so I brought her drugs earlier and I'm going to eat dinner with her family, hang out, and watch bad tv episodes on my computer with her tonight. I'm excited.

Modou told me his life story the other day, which was fascinating. It was really cool that he opened up to me like that, and I'm looking forward to helping him write down everything that happened.

I'm having trouble focusing on things today. I'm sort of assuming that I'll be a mess for the next week or so, while I'm getting used to the idea of an even more challenging relationship with Caleb and trying to catch up on everything else. When I really step back and think about it, I realize that I don't actually have that much to do. I'm sure I'll catch up and be just fine.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember that what feels like the mundane, day-to-day to you, is still interesting to us! I'd like to hear more about your work with Modou - how's he doing with English? Is he literate in French? From what you've said, he has a pretty intriguing life story - maybe you could even help him get it published :)

    Take advantage of the time you have left there - can't believe there's so little of it! I know I need to add a week onto that for when I get to see you, but I'm just happy to know that soon you'll be back on this side of the Atlantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that once you get used to a place (even heavenly Bay Area), you get into day-to-day living and it all just seems normal and no longer so exciting. Are there still some particular thing you want to see, or to do? Keep doing those things periodically to keep new life into your experience.

    ReplyDelete