Thursday, February 3, 2011

Great Day!

Mom is complaining that I sound depressed all the time (okay, not really), so I thought I'd write a happy post to prove her wrong.

Yesterday I woke up at about 10, took my time getting up and to the Baobab Center, and then made myself some soup for lunch. It was chicken broth with noodles, sweet potato, chick peas, corn, carrots, onion, and scallions. Very tasty. Katy and her parents came and ate lunch with me, and then we all went to the market. It was a great day to be there--practically every vendor was there; I've never seen the market so full of goods.

I bought Zork a boubou (this has become my favorite phrase: Zork-a-boubou. Sounds like an exotic dish or something.)--Zork is my brother's freshman year roommate whose name is actually Dan, but who I named Zork to avoid confusing him with my brother. Surprisingly, the name stuck. Who knew I was so powerful?

In expressing interest in one vendor's boubous, we toubabs (white people) were suddenly swarmed with no fewer than 6 vendors with stacks of boubous in their arms shoving their goods in our faces. It was a little overwhelming for Katy's parents, but amusing for us.

After the market, we went to the tailor to get the fabric we'd just bought made into clothes. Katy's dad will soon have African fish pajamas, which I'm sure he'll treasure for a long time. It was nice to see Xal, my tailor. I go see him every chance I get because he's so wonderful.

After the tailor, Katy's parents wanted to sit somewhere and drink coffee (and they wanted real coffee, not Nescafe, so our options were limited). We went to a hotel near the ocean where we've had dinner a few times and drank coffee and hot cocoa at their rooftop restaurant, overlooking the fishing boats in the ocean.

By then it was pretty late (everything moves slowly here), so I went home for dinner. Dinner was pretty good last night: black eyed peas with some meat and potatoes and a tasty sauce, eaten with bread.

This morning I went to circus and had a fairly good workout. I was pretty ill on Tuesday with stomach problems and a migraine, so I was still weak and fatigued today and not able to do as much as usual. Still, I did get the hang of one move I've been working on for FAR too long. Maybe when I have my strength back I'll actually be able to do it well!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! An upbeat post! Thank you for having a great time and letting us know about it :)

    ReplyDelete