Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weekend Number 3

For my third weekend in Dakar, I was hoping to do something different and low-key.  But I was in the minority, so we went out clubbing again.  Some of the girls hadn't gone dancing with us the last two times, and they really wanted to go.  We went to Le Voyageur, the same club we'd been to the last two weekends.  I was way, way tired.  I danced a little bit with Youssou, and then with this creeper guy who started trying to feel me up after about thirty seconds (at which point I pushed him away), and then this middle-aged guy who was pretty awkward.  Then I danced with someone who asked me after a few minutes, "Why aren't you dancing?"  After that I danced with Youssou a little more and then sat down to rest.  Youssou sat next to me for a while and then I ended up leaning on him to take a nap.  He was really sweet all night and didn't even try to make a move on me!  All week he's been wonderful, and he's becoming a great friend.  I feel like, even with the snafu our first week, I've lucked out with him and my parents.

On Saturday, I slept in late.  In the afternoon, I went to Katy's house and we made attaya with her host brother, Amadou (who is in love with Alyssa).  Before dinner, Youssou took Alyssa and me to the tailor.  This tailor happens to be Mama's sister, so she was very friendly and gave us good prices.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how my clothes come out.  They ended up being $10 per item, which is awesome for custom-made clothes.  When we got back for dinner, Alyssa went home.  We sat down to eat, and Mama said, "Where's Alyssa?"  I told her she'd gone home to eat dinner, and she said, "That's not nice!  Call her and tell her she has to come here!"  I did as I was told, and Alyssa came over and we all ate a tasty supper together.  Apparently, Mama had cooked it herself.  I'm looking forward to learning her tricks.

At night, I went to Boobs's house and hung out with him and Galo and Youssou and Alyssa.  We played cards and then played "Je n'ai jamais..." (Never have I ever, aka Ten Fingers).  It was challenging to talk about risque stuff in French, since they don't really teach that in French class.  Through that game, I decided that Boobs isn't really a good person.  He's really into me, but that's just too bad for him.

I've been getting kind of mad at one of the girls on our program.  She's going out with this fabulous guy, and she's cheating on him with someone here.  I don't want to be seeing this happen and not say anything to her boyfriend, who I know vaguely, but I also don't want to go behind her back or anything.  I just hate it when people do nasty things just because they're so pretty they can get away with it.  I was complaining to Youssou about it, and he said, "She's not that pretty.  You're way more beautiful than her, I swear."  Awww.  But at least I don't abuse it!

Today was ungodly hot.  We had class at 9 in the morning.  We met at the Baobab Center and then took a bus tour of Dakar.  It was really cool to see all the different neighborhoods, especially now that we're more oriented.  Afterwards we were all exhausted.  I went home with a mild headache and serious sleepiness, but the power was out and my room was stifling.  I failed at napping and didn't have water to take headache drugs and it kind of sucked.  Then I ate lunch and opened my room up and got some air flowing.  Then suddenly the wind picked up and it looked like we were going to have a tornado (do we even get those here?) and there was sand blowing everywhere and the temp dropped 10 degrees.  And then I fell asleep and everything was more normal when I woke back up.

Tomorrow I have class for 6 hours.  This doesn't feel like college the way I'm used to it.  I am loving it here, though. 

Ba suba!  (Talk to you soon!)

4 comments:

  1. Although dancing is a blast, I would encourage you to not go to the club every weekend. Even if a lot of the other people that you know want to go out dancing, I recommend that you try to find a lot of other things do to as well. My thought is always this: you can go out dancing in North America, but there are a lot of things that you can only do where you are right now. I feel that getting out on your own away from the other Americans can be an amazing and liberating experience, opening eyes and opening doors.

    Keep in mind this is only my own, quite biased, opinion, colored by my own experiences of studying abroad in Beijing. In the end, don't forget to do what you want to do rather than what other people want you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Joe's point - find some other things to do besides clubbing, even if the other girls want to go there...just think - by the time you get back home, you can go clubbing here! Wait, scary thought - nevermind. Can't wait to see how your clothes come out! I'm betting they'll be better than the ones I made you :-)

    You have a good sense of people - trust your gut... While I know it's upsetting to see someone behave less than honorably, I'm really glad that it bothers you - reassures me that we raised you right; you have a very strong senses of loyalty, respect, and responsibility. Just more reasons I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good people / bad people. When you're in a different culture, lots of people occur as bad. Biologists haven't found the "bad" germ yet.

    "Bad" people are "different than me". Lots of those show up when you're in a different culture--especially the opposite sex. I always try to get to know the "bad" people. They're the ones who can show me / teach me things I never imagined that I was blind to.

    Stay curious. Then get more curious.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Joe that it can be especially valuable to explore on your own, at least sometimes. When I have traveled alone (albeit not in Senegal, and not as a beautiful woman)I have really enjoyed the unplanned new things and people I stumble upon. Many times absolutely treasured experiences have occurred.

    ReplyDelete