Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Adjustment

I've been home just over a week now. Or rather, in the US. I got home to California last Wednesday night, after a long travel day. I still get weirded out all the time when I realize just how few black people live around here. I never see them, and when I do, they're so light-skinned! It's just not the same as being in Africa. I know. Duh.

As I tell stories about study abroad, I've noticed that I talk about my "other" life in the present tense. I'll say, "Whenever I go to this boutique, I talk to this one jaaykat..." and then realize that I don't go there anymore, and no one knows what a jaaykat is. (It's a vendor, by the way.) I've been pretty good about not speaking French to people who don't understand it, and I've been not speaking Wolof in general (sadly). I don't want to annoy people by saying things to them that they don't understand, but sometimes English just doesn't express exactly what I want to say. It's like trying to talk to someone who doesn't understand a particular vocabulary word. You can rework your sentence to use another word, but it's not the same.

In general, I've been enjoying my almost excessively comfortable bed, my pretty room, hot showers, clean feet, and family. It's nice to be back around people who understand me so well, but I miss my Senegal friends a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Do you still try to bargain with every purchase? Notice the profligate use of energy? Marvel that power is available 24-7? Notice that all roads are smoothly paved?

    Fascinating to read your early entries and realize the shock when you step back through the looking-glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From out here it looks like you're adjusting well - and it's really wonderful having you back in your pretty room and your excessively comfortable bed has missed you, too :)

    ReplyDelete